Rest in peace, Aaron Swartz

By Anand Chitipothu

Aaron Swartz committed suicide yesterday (Jan 11, 2013).

The Open Library wouldn’t exist without him. He wrote the backbone of the system you see today, hired the team that built the first version of the website.

He founded Demand Progress, which launched the campaign against the Internet censorship bills (SOPA/PIPA), coauthored the RSS 1.0 specification, cofounded the online news site Reddit, among many other good things.

His death is a great loss to all of us. May his soul rest in peace.

20 Responses to “Rest in peace, Aaron Swartz”

1. Ivan says:

His life is inspiring,ideals are priceless, what he was done it’s so important, thanks for you Aaron! Always in my heart, and mind.

2. Luana says:

That’s a great loss!

3. Den Gusakov says:

Freedom and equality in the use of global information resources is the only sure way of further development, not only education but also the entire social sphere. People like Aaron are the forerunners of future paths that humanity will have to go. Let there be eternal memory of him!

4. Alexander Shagaev says:

Aaron Swartz was a decent, honest man. Unfortunately the ruling “elite” of modern official “science” is criminal and guided by self-interest does not give people access to the results of recent research. This criminal “scientific elite” slows the progress of science and humanity. Aaron spoke against these criminals. He was a brave man. Rest in peace, Aaron Swartz!

5. Fan says:

Aaron Swartz,天堂没有可恶的版权制度,在那里你会得到所有人的尊敬

6. Michele says:

There’s a big bug in this world if Aaron have died, and it’s late to thank him for what he did and for the example he has been and always will be. Humans and Humanity thank you, Aaron!

7. commenter8 says:

The White House petition to fire US Attorney Carmen Ortiz for hounding Swartz to death already has 9,486 signatures – please sign!

White House petition to limit the term of all copyrights to a maximum of 10 years:

8. Mohammed says:

I tried to write stuff to express my feeling but failed miserably. All I can offer is a tight hug to your dear mother and father.

9. ScrewEwe2 says:

Thanks for your unselfish efforts Aaron and for showing the way.

Rest in Peace.

10. azuluru says:

You have not died Aaron.- You will be always among us .- You simply went away because you needed to be in a higher dimension for doing the most important duties.-
    Be sure you gave us the seeds of a new generation inspired in your mind and heart
    for building the world you dreamed.- God will take care of your parents.-
    azuluru

11. Daniele says:

Feeling sad and angry…

12. mirico says:

As many, I never knew he lived until I opened an e-mail from WIRED.
    The psychological insanity that is used to drive a nurse and now this
    loving Soul to suicide is an earmark of the immediate need of increased
    spiritual evolution of our human population.

Cherished loved ones need protection to stay and be and not to go and die.
    Open your heart today to embrace someone you love and needs protection.
    Shield them from harm and confusion.

This young man cannot be replaced…none of us can. We,as he are powerful spiritual beings.
    In all realities,bless us all.

13. Maryin says:

This does not feel right to me! I was not aware of Aaron’s efforts and what he made possible in so many fields before now .. and so, give thanks for his ability to live on in what he has created.

14. Richard Aroksaar says:

I had the privilige of hearing Aaron speak at the Internet Archive Meeting, hosted by Brewster Kahle, and held at the San Francisco Presidio a few years ago. Aaron wore a t-shirt and was somewhat disheveled, as if he had just gotten out of bed, and his genius was immediately apparent, as soon as he spoke.

Now I think of him as a mystic also, someone closer to dreamtime than most of us are, most of the time. I feel very fortunate to have had the chance to hear his talk and think that the Open Library may be the living monument to his spirit.

15. Beverley says:

I have only just joined this site. I was having a read through all the info before getting started. I was really in shock when I came across this sadness and loss and to a young man with so much ahead of him.
    I too lost my daughter to the very same out come she was 28yrs old, that was almost 11 years ago.

It is very hard to over come a loss of your child and suicide is such a hideous outcome of any life.

16. jeme. says:

what a great man,Aaron! This world would have been a better place with more Aarons!
    Thank you,Aaron,R.I.P

17. mc says:

rest in peace, Aaron.

18. Aaron was so far ahead of his time! He set “The Bar” on so many things.. He will be missed