Category Archives: Community

Library Explorer at Library Leaders Forum

Introducing the Open Library Explorer

Try it here! If you like it, share it.

Bringing 100 Years of Librarian-Knowledge to Life

By Nick Norman with Drini Cami & Mek

At the Library Leaders Forum 2020 (demo), Open Library unveiled the beta for what it’s calling the Library Explorer: an immersive interface which powerfully recreates and enhances the experience of navigating a physical library. If the tagline doesn’t grab your attention, wait until you see it in action:

Drini showcasing Library Explorer at the Library Leaders Forum
Get Ready to Explore

In this article, we’ll give you a tour of the Open Library Explorer and teach you how one may take full advantage of its features. You’ll also get a crash course on the 100+ years of library history which led to its innovation and an opportunity to test-drive it for yourself. So let’s get started!  

Continue reading

Amplifying the Voices Behind Books With the Power of Data

Exploring how Open Library uses author data to help readers move from imagination to impact

By Nick Norman, Edited by Mek & Drini

Image Source: Pexels / Pixabay from popsugar

According to René Descartes, a creative mathematician, “The reading of all good books is like a conversation with the finest [people] of past centuries.” If that’s true, then who are some of the people you’re talking to?

Continue reading

Giacomo Cignoni: My Internship at the Internet Archive

This summer, Open Library and the Internet Archive took part in Google Summer of Code (GSoC), a Google initiative to help students gain coding experience by contributing to open source projects. I was lucky enough to mentor Giacomo while he worked on improving our BookReader experience and infrastructure. We have invited Giacomo to write a blog post to share some of the wonderful work he has done and his learnings. It was a pleasure working with you Giacomo, and we all wish you the best of luck with the rest of your studies! – Drini

Hi, I am Giacomo Cignoni, a 2nd year computer science student from Italy. I submitted my 2020 Google Summer of Code (GSoC) project to work with the Internet Archive and I was selected for it. In this blogpost, I want to tell you about my experience and my accomplishments working this summer on BookReader, Internet Archive’s open source book reading web application.

Continue reading

Google Summer of Code 2020: Adoption by Book Lovers

by Tabish Shaikh & Mek

OpenLibrary.org,the world’s best-kept library secret: Let’s make it easier for book lovers to discover and get started with Open Library.

Hi, my name is Tabish Shaikh and this summer I participated in the Google Summer of Code program with Open Library to develop improvements which will help book lovers discover and use OpenLibrary.org.

Continue reading